Lamb is an underappreciated protein source. A 3-ounce portion provides over half of your daily protein needs. It also has a bounty of vitamins and minerals, including iron, vitamin B12, niacin, zinc, selenium, and omega-3-fatty acids.
Rest assured this chili recipe won’t taste game-y if you’re not big into lamb. Homemade chili seasoning, salsa, and red wine meld together to form a flavorful base for the ground lamb. Creamy kidney, pinto, and black beans help thicken the chili, too. This is a hearty recipe perfect for weeknight dinners or meal-prep lunches.
Recipe by Tawnie Kroll, RDN of Krolls Korner.
Nutritional information (per serving)
- 240 calories
- 15.3 grams protein
- 5.2 grams fat
- 27.2 grams carbs
- 3.3 grams sugar
Makes 12 servings
10 minutes min.
4 hours min.
- For the Chili Seasoning:
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoons cayenne
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon white pepper
- For the chili:
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes, no salt
- 1 cup medium salsa (thick and chunky)
- 1/2 bottle red wine
- 4 tablespoons taco sauce (2 tablespoons green, 2 tablespoons red)
- 1/2 cup Chili Seasoning (recipe above)
- 1 (15 oz) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz) can yellow corn
How to make it