The flavor is slightly sweet from the sweet potato, and the black beans add a nice dose of protein to the recipe, too. By the way, when you drain and rinse canned beans, you wash away 40 percent of the sodium.
Recipe by Liz Weiss, MS, RDN, host of Liz’s Healthy Table podcast and blog.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!
Makes 5 servings
15 minutes min.
30 minutes min.
- 1 medium sweet potato (11 ounces), peeled and cut into ½-inch dice (2 cups)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into ½-inch dice (1 generous cup)
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 bunch green onions, trimmed and cut into thin rounds (reserve about ¼ cup for a topping)
- One 26-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Zest of 1 lime
- Juice of 1 lime
- ½ cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- Optional toppings: cilantro, plain Greek yogurt, shredded cheese, green onion, avocado
How to make it