This unconventional chili recipe uses tart cherries for added depth of flavor. They’re also an impressive superfood.
Tart cherries’ high levels of antioxidants and anthocyanins (which give them their bright red color) have been found to lessen the impacts of inflammation. That makes them a powerful recovery food for athletes. Some studies even suggest they can help protect your brain and promote better sleep hygiene, due to the presence of melatonin. (Check our more health benefits of tart cherries here.)
And if all that didn’t persuade you to try this recipe, know this: It also meets the American Heart Association guidelines for a heart-healthy entrée.
Recipe courtesy of the Cherry Marketing Institute.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!
Nutritional information (per serving)
Makes 8 servings
- 3/4 cup or 4 ounces dried Montmorency tart cherries, chopped
- 2 cups fat free low sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 pound lean ground turkey (7% fat Jennie O)
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups fire-roasted tomatoes, chopped
- 1½ cups black beans, cooked (or 1 16-ounce can, rinsed and drained)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
How to make it