It does take some effort, so I’ve included my favorite shortcut: instant brown rice. This saves 30 to 45 minutes of cooking time, yielding the same nutritional value and often better texture.
You can also save time with a food processor by processing the beets and carrots with the shredding disc instead of a box grater. If the carrots are organic, don’t peel the skin—it’s the most nutritious part!
Reprinted with permission from Feast by Firelight, text and illustrations copyright ©2018 by Emma Frisch. Published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC. Photographs copyright © 2018 by Christina Holmes.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!
Makes 12 servings
- 1 cup cooked instant brown rice
- 2 cups peeled, shredded beets
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup toasted sunflower seeds
- 1⁄2 cup oat flour, rye flour, or any gluten-free flour
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower oil or other vegetable oil, plus 1 Tbsp (optional)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1⁄2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
How to make it