Rustic Margherita Pizza
For the dough:
- 4 1/4 cups water
- 2 1/3 cups Stone milled flour
- 3/4 tbsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp brewer yeast
For the toppings:
- 1/2 cup San Marzano tomatoes
- 1/2 cup fresh-made mozzarella
- 2/3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- To make the dough, stir the yeast in room temperature water. Mix water with 1/5 of flour to create a creamy compote. Add salt to mixture. Add in the remaining flour and mix by hand for 10 minutes (or by stand mixer for 15 minutes). Let the dough rest for 20 minutes them cut into 250-gram balls (each ball makes one 12-inch pizza crust).
- Let the dough balls sit in container for 4 hours, then put into refrigerator for 20 additional hours. Before using, let the dough sit in room temperature for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 500°. Separate the dough into four even dough balls. Put one dough on pizza stone(s). Spread San Marzano tomato sauce on dough and top with mozzarella cheese and extra virgin olive oil.
- Cook on a pizza stone for 10 minutes or until crust is golden. Repeat with remaining dough, or freeze dough for later use.
Recipe courtesy Executive Chef/Co-Owner Pasquale Cozzolino of Ribalta in New York City and AtlantaBack to top