Plenty of guys shy away from ordering salads because, more often than not, they’re boring and bland. But this ain’t your average pile of lettuce.
This Spanish-inspired recipe, which you can throw together in five minutes or less, combines protein-packed sardines, spicy piquillo peppers, and Spanish-style olives to create the perfect balance of flavor and texture.
Recipe and photo courtesy of King Oscar.
Makes 1 servings
- For the salad: 1 can King Oscar Skinless & Boneless Spanish-Style Sardines, drained, oil reserved
- 5 cups (5 oz) prepared mixed salad greens
- 1 oz prepared piquillo or roasted red peppers
- 10-12 Spanish-style olives
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced very thin
- 1 oz shaved Manchego or Parmesan cheese
- 1 oz slivered almonds
- For the dressing:
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Reserved oil from sardines
- Salt and pepper, to taste
How to make it
Break fish into bite-size chunks.
Whisk dressing ingredients until combined, and toss with fish and salad ingredients.
Top salad with cheese and slivered almonds, serve immediately.