Super Bowl-Worthy Sauces + Rubs
Root Beer and Roasted Onion Barbecue Sauce
– 1 yellow onion, halved
– 1 tsp vegetable oil
– 1 cup root beer
– 1 cup ketchup
– 1 tsp garlic powder
– 1 tsp ancho-chili powder
– 1⁄2 tsp chipotle-chili powder
– 1⁄2 tsp cinnamon
1. Heat oven to 450°F.
2. Rub onion with oil and roast cut-side down until soft and caramelized, about 45 minutes.
3. Add remaining ingredients to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, whisking occasionally.
4. Cool slightly and add to a blender with the roasted onion. Puree until smooth.
Five-Spice Sesame Lime Dust
– 1⁄4 cup toasted black and white sesame seeds, plus more for serving
– 2 tbsp five-spice powder
– 2 tsp salt
– Zest from 1 lime, grated
1. In a food processor, pulse the 1⁄2 cup sesame seeds into a powder.
2. Add five-spice powder and salt and pulse to combine.
3. Transfer spice mix to a bowl, add cooked wings, and toss to coat. Garnish with whole sesame seeds and lime zest.
Garlic Buffalo Sauce
– 1 stick unsalted butter
– 2 garlic cloves, smashed
– 1⁄2 cup vinegar-based hot sauce, such as Crystal or Frank’s
– 1 tsp fish sauce
– 1 tbsp honey
– 1⁄2 tsp salt
– 1 tsp cornstarch
1. Add butter and garlic to a saucepan set over low heat. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add hot sauce, fish sauce, honey, and salt and bring to a simmer while whisking. Rapidly whisk in the cornstarch.
3. Cool slightly, strain into a blender, and puree until smooth and opaque.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!Back to top