This salad is basically a who’s-who of nutritional powerhouses: kale, cabbage, sunflower seeds, cherries, and more. Plus, this recipe makes enough for multiple lunches throughout the week.
Key fat-burning ingredient:
Kale: Loaded with 10 grams of fiber per serving, this uber-hip leafy green will keep you feeling full longer. Plus, it’s high in vitamin K, which helps regulate blood sugar levels.
Recipe and photo courtesy of E.A. Stewart, RD @ The Spicy RD
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!
Makes 8 servings
- For the Dressing:
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup white balsamic vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- ⅛ tsp garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- For the Salad:
- 4 cups finely chopped kale (~1 bunch)
- 1½ cups finely chopped purple cabbage
- ¾ cup dried berries and/or tart cherries
- ½ cup shelled frozen edamame, thawed
- ½ cup shelled raw sunflower seeds
- ½ cup mung bean or other sprouts
- 2 finely chopped Granny Smith apples
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
How to make it
Make the dressing by combining oil, vinegar, garlic power, and salt in a lidded jar, and shake well to combine. Set aside until ready to use.
To make the salad, combine all the remaining ingredients, and pour ½ cup dressing (you may add more or less to suit your taste) over ingredients. Toss well, then season with salt and pepper, and serve.