Place the chicken in the refrigerator to marinate before heading off to work and you’ll be all set to get grilling when you get home. Then you can kick back and enjoy your night with this mouthwatering, Indian-inspired meal.
Nutrition (per serving)
Calories: 317; Total Fat: 9 grams; Saturated Fat: 2 grams; Protein: 34 grams; Carbohydrates: 24 grams; Sugars: 4 grams; Fiber: 2 grams; Cholesterol: 85 milligrams; Sodium: 717 milligrams
Recipe and photo courtesy of chef and culinary instructor, Jennifer Rossano.
Makes 4 servings
- For the marinade:
- 1 cup low-fat Greek style yogurt
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced in half
- 1 in. cube fresh ginger, peeled and minced (about 1 Tbsp)
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper, plus more for seasoning
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- For the assembly:
- 1 pound chicken breast, cut into cubes, about 1 ½ inches each
- 4 wooden skewers, soaked in water for an hour, or metal skewers
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 1 cup diced tomato
- ¼ cup finely chopped scallions
- 2 tortillas, pita or naan bread, sliced in half
- Lemon wedges for garnish
How to make it
Mix all of the marinade ingredients in a bowl until well combined. Add the chicken cubes, mix to well to coat, cover and let marinate in the fridge for a couple of hours, or overnight.
When ready to grill, take the chicken out of the fridge 30 minutes in advance. Wipe off excess marinade, put 4 chicken cubes on each skewer, and season with salt and pepper.
Pre-heat the grill to medium-high (400-450 degrees) and make sure grates are wiped clean to avoid having the chicken stick to the grill.
Cook chicken 5-6 minutes per side, until meat is firm and just cooked through. Place skewers on a plate, cover loosely with foil, and set aside.
While chicken is resting, lightly grill the bread on each side until warmed through.
In a separate bowl, mix the cucumber, tomato and scallions, and season with salt and pepper.
For the assembly, place one piece of bread on a plate, sprinkle with half a cup of chopped salad, top with one chicken skewer and serve with lemon wedge.