This flavorful, Thai-inspired salad combines sweet tropical fruits and crisp vegetables with a spicy garlic chili dressing for a perfectly balanced salad.
The addition of briny sardines takes this already nutrituous recipe up a notch thanks to their high-protein content and good-for-you fats.
Recipe and photo courtesy Kimberly Moore, of The Hungry Goddess.
Makes 2 servings
- For the salad:
- 1 small-medium green papaya, julienned
- 1 small-medium green mango, julienned
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1/2 pint of cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1/2 red onion cut in longer strips
- 1/2 tin of King Oscar Sardines in Extra Virgin Olive Oil (flaked, shredded by hand)
- 1/2 head of butter lettuce for serving
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews for garnish and crunch
- Generous salt and pepper before serving
- For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp of honey
- 1 tsp of garlic chili sauce
How to make it
Juice your limes, and then combine lime juice, honey, and garlic chili sauce for dressing. Taste it to add more honey or chili to your preference.
Peel the papaya and mango with a Y-peeler or veggie peeler. Slice the papaya and mango into long thin strips. Discard the seeds from the papaya. Place sliced fruit in a bowl.
Take about half the sardines in the tin, and flake/shred them by hand over the fruit. Add at least half the dressing, and toss and set aside.
Slice tomatoes, onions, basil. Toss all salad ingredients together (except for lettuce and basil) in the bowl with the dressing. Add some more dressing, if needed.
Layer your plate with butter lettuce, and scoop out dressed salad onto plate. Garnish with basil and cashews. Add salt and pepper. If you need more dressing, have the reserve on hand. Serve.