Okay, let's face it: burgers aren’t meant to be healthy. They're a celebration, a late-night meal from a diner, a vessel for melted cheese — all of the things that we love and know are bad for us.
That's why Charlie Palmer's chicken burgers come as a blessing. Robustly spiced, these burgers give lean white meat a chance to shine with a little help from a hot grill and a zippy, lime-spiked guacamole. The best part? The guacamole will give you something good to snack on while your burgers are cooking.
This recipe also tastes great with ground turkey in place of the chicken.
Charlie Palmer's Grilled Chicken Burger With Guacamole
Ingredients for 6 burgers
- 2 lbs ground chicken
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 serrano or other hot green chili (or to taste), stemmed, seeded, and minced
- ¼ cup minced red bell pepper
- 2 tbsp minced shallots
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp ground chili powder (not seasoned chili powder)
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- olive oil to brush on patties
- 6 large brioche buns, split and toasted
- guacamole (recipe follows)
- Combine the chicken with the egg, using your hands to blend. Add the chili, bell pepper, shallots, garlic, chili powder, and cumin. Again, using your hands, mix well to blend. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat and oil the grill or preheat a nonstick stovetop grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Form the mixture into 6 equal mounds (so they cook evenly) and shape each into a patty. Using a pastry brush, generously coat the outside of each with oil.
- Place the burgers on the grill and grill for 6 minutes. Turn and grill for another 5 minutes for well done.
- Place a burger on each bun, top with guacamole, and serve.
Ingredients for 2 cups of guacamole
- 2 large avocados, pitted, peeled, and mashed
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/3 cup chopped seeded peeled tomato
- 2 tbsp minced red onion
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp minced seeded serrano chili, optional
- Combine the avocado with the lime juice, tomato, onion, cilantro, and chili. Season with salt and serve.
Excerpted from the book CHARLIE PALMER’S AMERICAN FARE by Charlie Palmer. © 2015 by CRP Consulting LLC. Reprinted by permission of Grand Central Life and Style. All rights reserved.