Jeff Mahin might be the the chef/partner/wunderkind behind places like Stella Barra Pizzeria, M Street Kitchen, and Summer House Santa Monica, but he’s really just like you: He likes to get home and just cook something that’s easy and awesome after a long day at the office. Of course, his office is a kitchen, so you know he isn’t going to play around even when making something that could be considered simple to make, and this chicken that you can toss in a Dutch oven and make in under an hour is as great and easy as it gets.
Jeff Mahin’s One-Pot Roast Chicken with Lentils and Kale (2-3 servings)
- 1 whole chicken (approximately 4lbs.), cleaned and patted dry
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 Fresno chili, sliced
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 cup black beluga lentils
- 5 cups black kale, chopped
- ½ cup shredded carrot
- ½ cup shredded cabbage
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tbs grape seed oil
- To taste sea salt
Pre-heat oven to 275 F. Place a large pot on the stove on medium heat.
- To the pot, add grape seed oil, garlic and Fresno chilis. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add lentils to the pot and sauté for another 2 minutes. Add chicken broth and thyme, bring pot to a simmer. Add salt, kale, carrots and cabbage, allow to simmer for 4 minutes.
- Place whole chicken into the pot, pressing it firmly down on top of the other ingredients. Season the chicken with salt. Bring pot to a boil for 3 minutes.
- Top pot with a lid, but leave the pot slightly open. Place in oven and cook for 1 hour, or until the chicken breast temperature reads 140F. Remove lid, turn broiler on high and crisp skin. Remove chicken from the pot and place in cutting board to rest for 10 minutes. (Note: make sure the broth is absorbed, if not remove chicken and simmer the rest of the liquid off so it incorporates into the vegetables.)
- To serve, spoon lentils and vegetables onto center of plate/ bowl, cut chicken and place on top.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!