Almost every popular food has a better-for-you counterpart, but it’s rarely as tasty as the original. Some foods are so far gone but so damn good that we don’t even bother with an alternative, reserving them instead for those rare occasions when we go flying off the rails. We lost hope in fried chicken a long time ago—but Bobby Deen held strong, and for this recipe that delivers a healthier fried chicken, we salute him. Trust us—it’s way better than KFC.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1⁄2 tsp each black pepper and garlic powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup egg whites
- Dash natural hot sauce
- 2 cups unsweetened corn flakes
- Place a skillet on high heat and preheat oven to 375°.
- Put chicken in a Ziploc bag, add seasoning, seal bag, and massage until combined.
- Put egg whites in a bowl. Add chicken and hot sauce. Coat chicken with mixture.
- Put corn flakes in a Ziploc bag, close the bag, and, on a table, crush them up using your fists. Put chicken pieces in Ziploc with cereal and shake the bag until the chicken is fully coated.
- Turn off stovetop, add chicken to skillet, and place skillet in oven. Bake until golden-brown, about 40 minutes. Serve.
- Calories: 708
- Protein: 88g
- Carbs: 54g
- Fat: 14g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sodium: 830mg
Comparison with the Colonel:
- 54g more protein
- 20g less fat
- 630mg less sodium
- More dietary fiber
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!