There’s an answer to cooking better brats. And that answer is pimento cheese — melted.
Jonathan Schnipper, chef at Schnippers, created this delicious recipe, and the world is lucky enough to be able to make it at home, too, whether it’s in the kitchen or over some charcoal in the backyard.
Pimento Cheese Bratwurst
Recipe courtesy of Chef Jonathan Schnipper of Schnippers
Serving Size: six bratwursts
For the Bratwurst
- 6 raw bratwurst links
- 1 Spanish onion, sliced thinly
- 1 12 oz can PBR beer
- 1 quart cold water
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a baking dish, line up the bratwursts in a single row, be sure they’re not on top of each other.
- Cover them evenly with the sliced onion on top.
- Pour the can of beer over them, as well as the water. Make sure onions stay mostly on top.
- Cover tightly with foil and place in the oven. Cook until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit, this will take between 30-45 minutes.
- Transfer bratwursts and onion to a cool baking dish, leaving the liquid behind. Refrigerate all until cool. Pour the cold liquid back over the bratwursts then cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until needed. They will last this way for about 3 days.
For the Pimento Cheese
- ¼ cup mayo
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 cup finely diced roasted red peppers
- ¾ lb grated sharp yellow cheddar
- ½ tsp sriracha
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Add mayo, cayenne, salt, pepper, sriracha, and paprika to a mixing bowl. Mix well with a whisk.
- Add cheddar and diced roasted peppers. Mix very well with a spoon or rubber spatula.
- Put in a container and cover well. Refrigerate. Will last for 1 week.
For the Pickled Shallots
- 20 oz (weighed) shallots, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 ½ cups water
- Slice the shallots and weigh to proper amount (20 oz).
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well in a bowl or container.
- Refrigerate until needed. They taste best when refrigerated for at least 24 hours before use. They will last for 1 week in the refrigerator.
To Assemble the Pimento Cheese Bratwurst
What You’ll Need:
- 6 precooked bratwursts
- 6 long brioche rolls
- pimento cheese
- pickled shallots
- smoked paprika, to garnish
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 300°.
- Remove bratwursts from refrigerator and cook on a grill or skillet over moderate heat. Cook until golden brown on all sides.
- Slice brioche buns from the top down through the center to the bottom and place one bratwurst in each bun.
- Top each bratwurst with a generous amount of pimento cheese (about 2 tbsp each). Place in oven or toaster oven to melt the cheese, should take a 3–5 minutes.
- Remove bratwursts from oven. Sprinkle each with a small amount of smoked paprika. Then top with some pickled shallots (about 1 tbsp per bratwurst). Cut in half, if desired, and eat right away.
Get the latest gear reviews, deals, and more directly to your inbox. Sign up now for the Men’s Journal newsletter.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!