Loaded with protein and low in calories, your old friend chicken will help you build and repair muscles and burn the fat away. Tart cherries, on the other hand, have been shown to reduce belly fat, according to a study by the University of Michigan.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Rachael Hartley, R.D., L.D., C.D.E., C.L.T., of Avocado A Day Nutrition.
Makes 4 servings
- For the salad:
- 1¼ cups uncooked wild rice
- 1 cup shredded leftover cooked chicken or turkey
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 small carrots, shredded
- ⅓ cup dried unsweetened tart cherries
- ⅓ cup chopped almonds, toasted
- 2 large green onions, chopped
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese
- 4 cups arugula or baby kale
- For the dressing:
- 3 Tbsp cranberry relish (or any jam/chutney you have)
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
How to make it
First, cook the wild rice. Bring 3½ cups water to a boil, stir in rice, reduce heat, and simmer 50 minutes until tender. Set aside to cool.
When the rice is at room temperature, mix in the chicken, celery, carrots, tart cherries, almonds, and green onions.
Whisk together all the dressing ingredients, and season with salt and pepper. Toss with the wild rice mixture.
Divide the arugula among four plates. Top with wild rice salad, garnish with blue cheese, and serve.