For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!
I like to compete in a suit that will help save me time and energy by reducing drag, so I race in Aqua Sphere’s Energize Compression Speedsuit. The speedsuit also compresses the core muscles to damp vibration, which lessens muscle fatigue, leaving me fresher for the bike and run. [$175; aquasphereswim.com]
Aqua Sphere K180+ is my go-to goggle because it offers a 180-degree view, which comes in handy when you’re out in the water with hundreds of other swimmers. [$30; aquasphereswim.com]
Trek Project One Speed Concept 9.9 — definitely the fastest bike out there. The winds on the bike course are a big factor for wheel choices. I’m lucky that Mavic has a wide range of aero wheels that allows me to customize my wheel setup according to the conditions. [$11,550; trekbikes.com]
Running Shoes and Laces
- For racing, I run in the Newton Distance Elite, and for all the training miles, it’s the Newton Distance. [$155; newtonrunning.com]
- Elastic laces on running shoes, which make it easier to get shoes on in transition.
Smith Pivlock V2 Max ($239) for riding and Smith Pivlock V2 ($159) for the run. The frameless lens allows unobstructed visibility when riding and is also lightweight. The interchangeable lens is a cost effective way to have options for all conditions with one set of glasses. [smithoptics.com]
During the ride, I use CLIF Shot gels and CLIF Shot hydration drinks. On the run: more CLIF Shot gels and Coke. The heat and humidity also play a big part in your nutrition plan. The conditions can make it harder for your body to absorb nutrition during the race, so you have to know how to get all the calories you need despite the conditions. [$30/pack of 4; clifbarstore.com]
Gadgets and Necessities
- My favorite piece of tech gear is my Garmin Forerunner 620 with its light weight and small form factor.
- Compex Sport Elite electronic muscle stimulator is an essential item for recovery after long training days.
- FuelBelt Super Stretch Race belt, a handy pouch that allows you to store gels, salt capsules, etc.
- Electrical tape. You never know when you will need it.
- Petroleum jelly is great for preventing wetsuit or speedsuit rubbing and as chamois cream on race day.
- A straight-edge razor blade, because if you have a flat with a tubular, it is easier and faster to cut the tire off than trying to rip off a glue tire. Make a cut that is perpendicular to the tread of the tire then you can grab the inside of the tire and simply peel off the tire from wheel.
The Coolest Pieces of Gear We Tested This Week
Grayl's GeoPress Purifier Cleans Dirty Water in Seconds
Dream Garage: The Car and Truck Auctions We'd Bid on Right Now
Rest Easier This Fall With The Buffy Hemp Sleep Collection
First Take: The Allbirds Trail Runner SWT
Running Socks Guide 2021: The Best Pairs for Men
This LA-Based Designer Is Making Handcrafted Furniture To Last Generations
Ruby Slider Reviews: Protecting Your Home Has Never Been Easier
L.L.Bean Pre-Loved Collection: How to Snag Limited Vintage Pieces