Dick’s Sporting Goods Says It’ll Stop Selling Assault-Style Rifles

Dick's Sporting Goods
 Scott Olson/Staff/Getty Images

After 17 people were killed by a 19-year-old shooter with an AR-15 in Parkland, FL, earlier this month, Dick’s Sporting Goods is taking action and announced it won’t sell “assault-style rifles” in its stores, according to a press release Wednesday morning.

“We at Dick’s Sporting Goods are deeply disturbed and saddened by the tragic events in Parkland,” CEO Edward Stack said in the company’s official statement on its website. “Our thoughts and prayers are with all of the victims and their loved ones. But thoughts and prayers are not enough.”

The company, which has its headquarters in Pittsburgh, PA, also wrote that anyone under the age of 21 cannot purchase a weapon from one of its more than 675 stores across the country. The Parkland shooter, Nikolas Cruz, bought a firearm from Dick’s back in November, but Stack points out that weapon “was not the gun, nor the type of gun, he used in the shooting,” in the statement. While Dick’s Sporting Goods quit selling AR-15s in reaction to the Sandy Hook shooting— which Stack mentions in the release—it ended up selling them in 2013 at its Field & Stream locations.

Earlier this morning Stack also told CNN that the “hunt business is an important part of the business, no doubt about it. And we know there will be some backlash.”

Meanwhile, Stack ended the brand’s press release with a call to action by encouraging politicians to do their part and to “enact common sense gun reform.”

“Some will say these steps can’t guarantee tragedies like Parkland will never happen again,” Stack wrote. “They may be correct—but if common sense reform is enacted and even one life is saved, it will have been worth it.”