The Barbell Method
You don’t need to add any weights to a barbell to work your muscles. Use an empty bar—it weighs 45 pounds—for this routine. Do five sets of the moves in the following order. —Errick McAdams, personal trainer based in Washington, D. C.
- Thrusters: Hold bar in both hands at shoulder height. Squat down, and as you stand back up, thrust bar overhead, arms straight and elbows locked. Do 20 reps.
- Curls: Hold bar in both hands, palms up, with arms extended in front of you. Curl the bar up so palms hit chest. Do 20 reps.
- Back squats: Place bar on back holding it with hands shoulder-width apart; squat down as low as you can, keeping chest lifted and back flat. Do 20 reps.
- Bent-over rows: Hold bar with hands shoulder-width apart and arms extended in front of you. Hinge forward at hips and bend knees slightly. Lift bar up to chest, then lower down. Do 20 reps.
- Push-ups: Do 20 reps, keeping back flat and hips lifted, and aiming to hit your chest to the ground each time.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!Back to top