If you really want to pump up your pecs and build the best chest in the gym, you need targeted chest exercises that exhaust your muscles in the best way possible. Because the main chest muscles (specifically the pectoralis major, aka pecs) are so huge, and contribute to so many movements, you’ll need more than just a handful of moves to build your upper body from every angle.
These 30 chest exercises will develop your pecs (and the surrounding musculature), spark greater levels of strength, and give you a more imposing physique. If you’re unsure about the appropriate rep-set scheme, check out our definitive guide for building strength versus building size. Make sure you check out 3 Tips to Get Your Best Chest—and What to Avoid. These are the best practices to perfect:
- Prioritize compound movements ((which we’ve highlighted below).
- Use progressive resistance (increase the weight or number of reps you perform each workout).
- Improve your shoulder stability to safeguard against injury (use “pulling” exercises that retract your shoulder blades.
And the most common training mistakes to avoid:
- Doing too many exercises in one workout.
- Going too heavy too quickly.
- Using improper form and technique.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!