It’s that time of year: you’ll be toasting and cheersing weekly if not nightly. Here are five tips to make sure yours goes off without a hitch. While you’re at it, check out this “champagne” cheat sheet and 14 bottles of bubbly, perfect for any occasion.
1. Make it no more than 45 seconds.
2. Say one thing to make people chuckle and one to make them tear up. (“I hear Uncle Max and Aunt Sue split up” doesn’t count.)
3. Specifics about people in the room > generalities that everyone says.
4. Always include the lady in your life.
5. But never in the same sentence as “Ho-ho-ho.”