Although barbell exercises are usually the best way to increase strength and muscle fast, they often disguise muscular imbalances, which can and often do hinder growth. It’s important to work unilaterally (one side at a time) as well bilaterally (both sides at a time). Ryan LaPlaga, C.S.C.S., provided us with seven barbell exercises, and counterparts, that can be used to eliminate muscular imbalances that may be holding you back.
DIRECTIONS: Once per week, swap one of these exercises in for the exercise named after it. Follow the same set and rep structure the original workout calls for.
1.Squat: Split Squat, Bulgarian Split Squat, Stepup
2. Deadlift: Single-Leg Romanian Deadlift
3. Power Clean: Single-Arm Snatches and Cleans
4. Barbell Overhead Press: Alternating Dumbbell Shoulder Press, seated or standing
5. Bench Press: Alternating Dumbbell Bench Press, Floor Press
6. Bentover Row: Single-arm Barbell Rows
7. EZ-bar Skull Crusher: Alternating Dumbbell Skull Crushers