Let’s get this out of the way: Channing Tatum used to be a real, honest-to-god male stripper. And as such, he knows how to get in the kind of shape — six pack and all — that has made Magic Mike the $113 million movie seen by women — and a few men — everywhere.
For the second film, Magic Mike: XXL, Tatum worked with long-time trainer Arin Babaian. Together they scrapped the traditional one-hour workout to create a fitness-conscious lifestyle that allowed Tatum to have a little fun while getting results. And though you might not have a full day to train, by incorporating more than one workout into your day, you could find yourself making quicker gains.
• Morning bike ride: 20 miles (road)
• Breakfast: 6 eggs; green smoothie
• Morning workout: 5 water burpees (lap in a pool, jump out of the water, 10 sit-ups, jump back in for another lap)
• Lunch: Chicken, vegetables, yams, and a green smoothie
• Weight training: Shoulder presses; squats; bench presses
• Conditioning workout (Arin changed the circuit every day to keep the body guessing): Run a quarter-mile on the treadmill at 7 mph, jump off and do about 10 push-ups, then 10 pull-ups, 15 dips, 20 alternating jumping lunges, 30 sit-ups, 15 knees-to-elbows. Repeat 4 rounds.
• Dinner: Grilled chicken and vegetables
• Night run: 6 miles, some sprinting at the end
Here, Babaian offers his tips on how to be like Mike:
During training, Channing and Arin were stationed in Vancouver, Canada. “There were some beautiful rolling hills and great biking trails, so we got road and mountain bicycles. In the morning we would take the road bikes out for about a 20-mile ride, then later in the day, after dinner, we would take the mountain bikes out on the trails on some intense trips through the woods.”
Eat Your Greens
“Channing doesn’t love vegetables, but nutrition is fundamental,” Arin says. To get around the taste factor, they keep a number of Nutribullets at the house and make sure to make healthy and delicious smoothies. “It’s a bit of a cocktail, with kale, spinach, romaine, and then some fruit like strawberries and blueberries to help it go down.”
Find The Time
“Even though he was producing the film, and starring in it, Channing got a deluxe trailer decked out with amazing fitness gear, a full gym. Whether we did it in the morning before he started filming, or at the end of the night, we always got a workout in.” The trailer became a clubhouse for the boys, who were able to enjoy their sessions more and push each other harder.
“Listen, cheat meals tend to happen. We don’t plan them, though,” he admits. “If you have a business meal, or entertaining, there’s not much you can do, but we try not to make a habit of it. It’s also not worth beating yourself up about. Just don’t order the chocolate cake, please.”
Bust A Move
“I have to say, as hard as we trained before the rehearsals for Magic Mike started, the guys never sweated as hard during their workouts as they did on the dance floor,” laughs Arin, who credits choreographer Alison Faulk’s dances to get that last bit of definition before filming. So maybe getting out on the dance floor every once in a while couldn’t hurt.