- Leg presses: three sets of 30, 40, and 50 reps using three 45-pound plates on each side.
- Sledgehammer swings: as many sets as possible of 10 swings on each side
- Pullups: three sets of 12, 10, and 8 reps
- Hammer strength row: four sets of 12, 10, 6, and 12 reps
- Dumbbell row: four sets of 12, 10, 6, and 12 reps
- Barbell or dumbbell shrug: four sets of 12, 10, 6, and 12 reps
Hughes begins his leg-press workouts two months before a fight and adds 10 reps to his last set each week, so by the week of the fight he’s performing 120 reps in the last set.
CORE STRENGTH AND PUNCHING POWER
Hughes trains a different body part each day but favors back workouts since MMA stresses the pulling muscles.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!