Men’s Journal aims to feature only the best products and services. We update when possible, but deals expire and prices can change. If you buy something via one of our links, we may earn a commission. Questions? Reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.Sponsored content
There’s a reason New Year’s resolutions are a thing; It’s the ideal time to start fresh. The holidays are done. The travel is over. The presents have been opened; the family, endured. The parties are (hopefully) fading from memory. The leftovers may still be in the fridge, but you know what? It’s time to chuck them, too.
Clean it all out: mind, body, and spirit (and fridge), and flush it all away. A new year is here—it’s time to hit “reset.”
Trying a “dry January”? Good for you; it really works. Make a slew of resolutions? You’re more likely to succeed with fewer, more focused goals, but hey—good luck. Even if only one of them sticks you’ll be that much better off. New workout program? New diet? All great steps toward a better, happier, healthier you in 2019.
But there’s one step you can take that doesn’t involve much expense or sacrifice on your part—a new vitamin and supplement regimen. No matter if you want to lose weight, gain mass, or just live a healthier lifestyle, a steady schedule of supplements can do everything from lower stress to improve blood flow to boost your sex life to helping your hair and fingernails grow.
What’s the Right Supplement for You?
Right now, Walgreen’s is having a massive sale on all vitamins and supplements. Through January 5, buy 1 get 1 free (or at least 50 percent off) vitamins and supplements at Walgreens.com. In honor of 2019 you can even take an extra 19 percent off any order over $50 with the code EXTRA19. It’s a great deal no matter how you look at it.
To hep you get started, here are just a few supplements that can help you achieve your goals in 2019, with links on how to get a great deal on them Your doctor and/or trainer could surely recommend more that would be beneficial to you personally.
- Multivitamin: Start here. Like cardio and coffee, a daily multi is essential to overall health. Instead of stashing the bottle on a shelf, though, keep it by your toothbrush or coffeepot—something you hit every day without fail. Make sure your multi also contains two key nutrients: selenium (for its cancer protective effects) and zinc (which helps you make sperm). Buy it here.
- Coenzyme Q10: CoQ10 is a disease-fighting antioxidant and has been used in the treatment of neurological diseases and may be beneficial in cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure, and migraine headache treatment. Other studies have found CoQ10 may be useful in treating muscular dystrophy, periodontal disease, and speeding recovery from exercise. Buy it here.
- Fish Oil: One of the best sources of omega-3 fatty acids, which are crucial for brain and heart health and act as a natural anti-inflammatory. This is especially beneficial if you work out regularly, suffer from sports injuries, or have aching joints. Fish oil has numerous benefits beyond the obvious, though, from preventing degenerative disorders to even improving your IQ. Buy it here.
- Probiotics: Take one before bed each day to aid with overall gut health and enhance your immune system. Consuming probiotics can also reduce your body weight and body mass index, stunt allergies, improve skin conditions like eczema, and lower levels of depression, stress, and anxiety. Buy it here.
- Vitamin D: Teeth, hair, skin, leaner abs—the evidence is overwhelming that Vitamin D is absolutely essential. While you probably get some form your daily multi, most experts agree men should take a D-specific supplement daily simply because of the vast benefits to our overall health. Buy it here.
- L-Carnitine: Studies have shown that carnitine can reduce fat, increase muscle mass, and lower fatigue—three things that may contribute to weight loss. It’s also said to help protect against heart disease, boost sperm count, and may ease the aging process. Nature’s Bounty makes an L-Carnitine supplement that also contains Alpha Lipoic Acid. This supplement is said to help regulate blood sugar, aid in brain health, act as a super-antioxidant by recycling vitamins C and E, and may even be beneficial for the liver. This is a good one. Buy it here.
- Folic Acid: Sold solo but also found in most B-Complex supplements, folic acid helps form red blood cells and create new DNA by helping your body break down, use, and create new proteins. Want more? It prevents Alzheimer’s and type-2 diabetes, helps decrease your risk of colon cancer, prevents heart disease and stroke, and slows memory loss and macular degeneration. Buy it here.
- Gingko Biloba: A medicinal herb that enhances blood flow, especially to the brain, resulting in countless benefits: improved heart health, improved memory and retention, treating erectile disfunction, treating allergies and asthma, improved productivity, decreased risk of pancreatic cancer—the list goes on. Buy it here.
Here at Men’s Journal we’ve posted countless articles on the benefits of taking supplements regularly, from improving your workouts to boosting your sexual health. No matter the reason you want to take a supplement (or two, or three), January is the ideal time to start your new supplement regimen. So click over to Walgreens before January 5 to get moving in the right direction toward a new, improved you in 2019.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!