Finish Up With a Massage
“Keeping small props — like a tennis ball and a foam roller — at your desk makes it easy to give yourself an assisted massage to release tension from your shoulders and back,” McCamish says.
Tennis Ball Shoulder Release
- Use this move to help release tension in your shoulders.
- Lean up against a wall and place a tennis ball on the inside of your shoulder blade between your body and the wall.
- Move your shoulder around, or adjust the placement of the tennis ball, to identify tight spots.
- Hold pressure on the knots, then roll through them slowly to help loosen them up; spend about a minute on each side, working through your shoulder and upper back.
Foam Roll Back Release
- You can roll away tension accumulated through your entire spine with a foam roller, but if you deal with low back pain, keep your focus on your low-to-mid back.
- Place the foam roller perpendicular to your body and sit on the ground directly in front of it, your knees bent, feet flat on the floor.
- Lean back onto the foam roller until it’s at your mid-back. Place your hands behind your head to support your neck.
- Press through your heels and lift your hips, tucking your pelvis under.
- Slowly roll your spine up and down the foam roller, from just above your hips to your shoulder blades.
- Spend a few minutes here; put off work a little longer.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!Back to top