The best way to get more out of your workouts is to set a time limit for yourself. Racing the clock forces you to work harder, faster, and more efficiently. Every second counts – no lolly gagging at the water fountain allowed. This is what Escalating Density Training (EDT) is all about: Pick a duration—you don’t need long—and get the best workout possible before the clock runs out. Get ready to take the concept of supersets to a whole new level. We’ll show you how to use EDT to sculpt a great upper body when you have time for nothing less.
Here’s how EDT works. first, set a time limit—in this case, 20 minutes. pick two different body parts you want to train that don’t compete with each other. for ex- ample, chest and back, or legs and shoulders. (A pairing like chest and shoulders would not work because they involve the same muscles and will fatigue you too fast.)
Choose an exercise for each body part and a weight that allows you 10–12 reps for each. begin alternating sets of the two moves, resting as little as possible between sets. Go a few reps short of failure on every set to preserve your strength.
Continue until 20 minutes is up. make note of the rest periods you took between sets and the total number of reps you performed. the next time you repeat the work- out, try to improve your performance without extending the time frame. the example to the right is an EDT superset for chest and back that uses the dumbbell bench press and seated cable row.
Dumbbell Bench Press
● Hold a dumbbell in each hand and lie back on a flat bench. hold the weights at shoulder level, and then press them straight over your chest. Seated Cable row
● Attach a straight bar to a cable pulley and grasp it at shoulder width. place your feet against the foot plates of the machine and pull the bar back to place tension on the cable. start with your torso leaning slightly forward so you feel a stretch on your lats and then row the bar to your sternum, squeezing your shoulder blades together.
Other options the following pairings make for effective EDT workouts.
● Barbell Curl + Close-grip Pushup
● Dumbbell Overhead Press + Lat Pulldown
● Barbell Romanian Deadlift + Leg Extension
● Front Squat + Pushup
● Leg Press + Pullup
● Escalating Density Training not only allows you to make the most of limited training times, but it may also boost the release of testosterone and growth hormone in the body. The two hormones are associated with muscle growth and fat burning.