Are you a workout-warrior looking for a challenge? You’ve come to the right place. Starting today we’re launching a new series to test your mettle and your abilities. Each week, our fitness expert, CrossFit competitor and owner of Reebok CrossFit 5th Ave., Nathan Forster will lay out a quick and specific workout that focuses on a variety of areas: strength, speed, power, endurance and skill. Think you’ve got what it takes to ‘One-Up’ our guy? Get ready to throw-down and let’s see what you got…
For this first week, Forster’s challenge is a timed bodyweight squat.
> Perform as many repetitions of back squats with poundage equaling your bodyweight.
EXERCISE INSTRUCTIONS: Squat
1. With an overhand grip, place yourself in the deadlift position and lift the weight to your waist.
2. With a ‘pop’ of the hips, ‘clean’ the barbell to your shoulders.
3. Bend at the knees and explode upwards while pressing the barbell overhand and resting it across your shoulders.
4. With your feet slightly wider than shoulders-width and toes pointing slightly outward, squat down.
* Keep your head facing forward and knees behind your toes.
5. When your thighs are parallel with the floor, explode upward. That’s one rep.
6. When you’ve reached failure, step forward and drop the barbell behind your back. (Only if using ‘bumper plates’)
* NOTE: This challenge is completed much easier if performed in a squat rack. If you’re working in a squat rack complete steps 3, 4, and 5. Then re-rack the weight.