When it comes to a fight between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor, don’t believe the hype—according to Dana White, at least.
The UFC president spoke with TMZ Sports over the weekend and said that the McGregor-Mayweather fight is “nowhere” at the moment. White then said that he thinks McGregor will get back into action soon—not the boxing ring, but in the Octagon.
“We’re nowhere. We’re nowhere with it. We’re nowhere,” White said. “I expect Conor’s next fight to be in the UFC, in mixed martial arts, and the winner of Khabib [Nurmagomedov] and [Tony] Ferguson.”:
The fight between Khabib and Ferguson is going down at UFC 209 on March 4 in Las Vegas and is the undercard to the main bout between Tyron Woodley and Stephen Thompson.
White has high hopes for that fight, and clearly thinks McGregor would have a great matchup against the winner of the lightweight championship bout: “Khabib and Ferguson hate each other. Those guys hate each other,” White said. “That’s fight’s gonna be good. It’s gonna be a good fight. Two nasty guys—number one and number two in the world. Doesn’t get any better than that.”
The McGregor-Mayweather hype reached a fever pitch earlier in February amid reports that they’d agreed on a fight, and that the UFC star was on his way to Las Vegas to announce the bout. As it turned out, McGregor actually went to Las Vegas to meet with the Nevada State Athletic Commission about a “re-hearing” following punishment for his bottle-throwing incident before UFC 202 last August.
Mayweather squashed the rumors by writing on Instagram that he was “happily retired,” but then bizarrely decided to fan the flames again, writing on Twitter that McGregor should get his “people get in touch with my people.”
— Floyd Mayweather (@FloydMayweather) February 15, 2017
A fight could still happen one day—but if you ask White, his money would be on McGregor getting into the Octagon again first.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!