The perfect amount of manscaping isn’t cut and dried (pun absolutely intended).
But it’s safe to say most women prefer you keep things tidy—so they’re not getting lost in your nether regions.
Researchers asked 7,600 U.S. adults—comprising 4,200 women and roughly 3,400 men, ranging in age from 18 to 65—about their pubic-hair grooming practices. The results were revealing, terrifying, and pretty fascinating.
Some hard and fast numbers for the gents:
How men like to manscape
- 67% of men had manscaped previously, at some point in their life
- 94% of all participants groomed themselves (rather than, say, getting waxed) with electric razors (most popular), scissors, wax, and electrolysis/laser hair removal (least popular)
The most common types of injuries men get while manscaping
- 26% of all participants have been hurt while grooming, breaking down to about 560 men
- 61% of injuries were categorized as a cut, while 23% were burns, followed by 12% as rashes
- 9% of injuries developed into an infection
- 1.4% of people needed medical help: 49 needed antibiotics and 36 needed an abscess drained or a cut stitched
- 67% of manscaping injuries occur to the scrotum, while 35% happen on the penis, and 29% on the mons pubic (the area above your penis)
Who’s more at risk for manscaping injuries
Naturally, some factors put some men at greater risk for nicks and, well, gashes. For one, hairy guys have a harder time grooming. Luckily, there are plenty of smarter ways for super-hairy guys to manscape. For example: Trimmers are always safer, but if you want to shave with a razor, use soap and water to see where you’re going, as shaving cream can cloak everything, and be sure to pull your skin nice and taut. Cold water can also help with the scrotum problem, ‘cus, well, you know.
Men in the study were more likely to injure themselves if they groomed monthly or every three to six months, or if they’d removed their hair more than 11 times in their lifetime, compared to guys who never groom. (Oddly specific, but unsurprising.)
Want more manscaping intel? Check out these top 10 hair-removal products.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!