Botanical Garden of Padova (Italy)
What this five-acre garden lacks in size it has in history. It’s the oldest academic botanical garden in continual use – first esablished in Padua, Italy in 1545. The collection at the garden centers on medicinal plants, which the Venetians expanded as their trade with outside regions increased. Their mostly outdoor collections spotlight insectivorous and carnivorous plants, and representative Mediterranean plants. Their greenhouse includes some of the oldest trees in Europe, including the “Goethe palm,” which was planted in 1585.