On June 10, 1944, the tiny town of Oradour-sur-Glane, in west-central France, became the site of one of World War II’s worst massacres when Nazi soldiers invaded and killed all but six of the town’s inhabitants (leaving a final death toll of 642 men, women, and children). In an effort to preserve the memory of the people who perished here, the French government – under orders from then-president Charles de Gaulle – insisted that the village be left exactly as it was found. The only addition to this eerily beautiful memorial is a sign at the entrance that urges visitors to “Souviens-Toi” (“Remember”).
Getting there: For those who choose to drive, The Centre de la Mémoire visitor center offers ample free parking. Alternatively, one can take a train to Limoges and travel the additional 15 miles to Oradour-sur-Glane via taxi or bus.Back to top